More and more often, you hear stories about information loss: identities stolen, emails lost or destroyed illegally, credit card information compromised, etc. Depending on the degree of sensitivity, these situations can create a major headache (and in some instances, lawsuits) for individuals, companies and management alike.
In addition to selecting the right hosting and monitoring services for your data, it’s important to ask yourself regularly if you and your business are taking the right precautions to protect sensitive information.
At a bare minimum, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do we have an enterprise strategy for protecting sensitive information?
- How well is the strategy being executed?
- Who is responsible for its execution and enforcement?
- Does this strategy control access to sensitive information within and outside of the company?
- Do we know where our sensitive information is at any point in time?
Asking and addressing these key questions can help us better control our sensitive content and prevent the unauthorized access and potential theft or loss of it, resulting in less overall risk to ourselves and our businesses.