March 14, 2018, is Pi Day, not pie as in apple, but pi as in the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter — and on Wednesday, No-IP marks the occasion with a few Pi Day Jokes guaranteed to make any nerd chuckle. Check them out below and be sure to share them with your friends.
This is an important update to notify you of changes impacting Symantec SSL Certificates. If you own a Symantec SSL Certificate and it has not been renewed or re-issued by the timeline provided, your SSL certificate may stop showing a secure connection.
Carefully read through this post to determine if you need to take action to ensure your website will continue to be secure.
On March 15, 2017, Google announced that Chrome 66 would no longer support SSL certificates that were issued by Symantec. Google removed support for Symantec SSL’s because the SSL certificates had a history of not following proper validation rules and protocols. Because of this, Chrome 66 will no longer consider websites with old Symantec SSL certificates secure. This new Chrome version is planned to be released on March 15, 2018.
What does this mean for you?
No-IP provides Geotrust and RapidSSL certificates which are validated by Symantec. This means that some of our customers will need to reissue their SSL Certificates again in order for them to be properly signed and verified. Upon reissue, DigiCert will be the new SSL signer and Chrome 66 will see the re-issued SSLs as secure.
How to re-issue your SSL
Here is a timeline to help determine if you need to take action.
No Action is Required – No action is required if your current SSL certificate meets the following requirements:
- Certificates issued prior to June 1, 2016, and expiring prior to March 15, 2018
- Certificates issued after June 1, 2016, and expire prior to September 13, 2018
- Certificates issued after December 1, 2017
Action is Required — Re-issue Now
- Certificates issued prior to June 1, 2016, and expire on, or after March 15, 2018 – You need to re-issue your SSL certificate(s) before March 15, 2018
- Certificates issued after June 1, 2016, and expires on, or after September 13, 2018 – You need to re-issue your SSL certificate(s) before September 13, 2018.
Do I need to pay to re-issue my SSL Certificate?
No. GeoTrust SSL certificates provide unlimited re-issues.
Note: If you have renewed your No-IP SSL Certificate after December 1, 2017, DigiCert automatically became the SSL signer and there is no further action needed.
Why is this happening?
On January 19, 2017, the Google Chrome team began investigating a series of failures by Symantec Corporation to properly validate certificates. During this investigation, Google realized that over 30,000 SSL certificates had been issued with some kind of validation error over the past few years. The findings from this investigation lead the Google team to lose confidence in the certificate issuance policies and practices of Symantec. Google reached out to Symantec to have them correct their issuance policies, but the issues were never corrected.
Since Symantec did not make the necessary changes DigiCert bought out Symantec Website Security and related PKI solutions. Since then, Digicert has been adhering to proper certificate validation.
We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. However, this effort is to ensure all of our customer’s certificates are validated properly and will be honored by all major web browsers.
If you have any questions or need help, please contact our Customer Success team and we will be glad to assist you.
There are many different ways to say, I love you! Share your favorite love meme to that special geek that means the world to you.
Happy Valentine’s Day from the No-IP crew to you! <3 Vote for your favorite one for a chance to win a $25 No-IP Credit! 5 winners will be chosen! Contest closes Feb 14, 2018 at 11:59pm.
Enter our Giveaway for a chance to win a $25 No-IP Credit! 10 winners will be chosen.
To enter the giveaway, follow the steps below. Winners will be announced at 12pm PST on February 28, 2018. Enter now for your chance to win!
This giveaway has ended. Winners have been notified via email.
1. No-IP was founded in 1999 in a college apartment at Sonoma State.
2. No-IP’s first office was a 100sq/ft unit in Sorrento Mesa, CA.
3. We’re a curious bunch and like to try new things like Surströmming.
4. Nerf guns are now banned at the office as we take things too far. A few employees modified them to shoot a lot faster than they should.
5. For the first 4 years, our CEO was doing technical support and still works with the Customer Success team directly.
6. No-IP started as a school project.
7. All employees once feared for their lives due to an angry hawk just outside the office.
8. We once had a toilet on the roof of our building, placed there by one of our employees as a practical joke.
9. Company outings have included skiing, go-karting, kayaking, and UTV’ing.
10. Two employees share the same birthday.
11. Speaking of birthdays, one of our birthday traditions is taping a 40-ounce beer to your hand. We also have a few other traditions like choosing the company lunch that week, a happy hour with your favorite cocktail, and even nothing, since not everyone has the same feelings about birthdays.
12. Office pranks have included a desk covered in sod (grass), an Annoy-a-Tron hid in the ceiling vent, outlet socket and a hollowed out book for months, changing someones DNS settings to make Reddit go to Google and Google resolve to Bing, the least favorite is when someone ruins an entire Costco size container of Jelly Belly’s by putting a box of Beanboozled Jelly Beans in it.
13. We had a donut eating contest once. The winner ate 7 donuts in 10 minutes.
14. We host an annual company-wide hack-a-thon called Snotty’s Bakeoff.
15. We have a yearly holiday party, that is the jam. This year it was a 1920′s Murder Mystery themed party and someone died (but not really).
16. Deven is secretly a professional basketball player. He sinks free throws all day.
17. We accept BTC and Latin American payments.
18. Careless Whisper is running on an amazing saxophone 10-hour loop in our bathrooms as is the Stranger Things theme song.
19. Rebecca Black and Guy on a Buffalo are beloved characters and both are ringtones that one of our Software Engineer uses
20. We have a No-IP Reef tank. We also had a Mac Plus that we gutted and put a fish tank in.
21. No-IP used to name all of their servers after tire companies. Some of the names were: Goodyear, Dunlop, Nitto, Nexen, Michelin, Pirelli, and Toyo.
22. No-IP’s original core hardware has been repurposed as a coffee table.
23. We have company-sponsored lunches every Tuesday and Friday.
24. We like to have fun. In the office, we have two pinball machines, a foosball machine, basketball hoop and a ping pong table. Therefore, productivity levels are low some days.
25. We host our Giving Thanks Food and Toy Drive every December. This year was our biggest donation ever. We donated over $5000 in food and toys thanks to our generous employees and family.