When enabled, Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) increases your account’s security by requiring a second method of verification before you can login to No-IP.com’s website. You can find the two factor authentication option within your account under “Account > Security”.
The first step is to download and install an authentication app. This article will be using Authy (Twilio Authy on iOS). If you’d rather use a different app see our articles for Duo, LastPass or 1Password. They’re all available on the Play Store for Android or the App Store for iOS.
Two-Factor Authentication Setup With Authy
After installation, open the app and select click the empty field labeled “Code” you’ll be prompted to select your country. Then enter your phone number and click OK. It will require you to verify the number. Choose to either receive an SMS text message or a phone call to receive your verification code. Return to the app, depending on your phone settings Authy may see the code automatically upon returning to the app or you may need to enter the code that was sent to you into the Authy app. You’ll now either get a screen that allows you to add an account or you’ll automatically be shown a screen with a code for SendGrid. Click the button to add an account or tap the three dots on the top right of the screen and then select “Add Account” You will be given two options: “Scan QR Code” or “Enter Code Manually”. Select whichever you prefer. We have provided instructions for each method below.
- Authy will ask for permission to use your phones camera. Give it permission and then scan the QR Code from the security page in your No-IP account.
- Authy will take you to a page labeled “Secure Backups” feel free to use this feature. We offer backup passwords later on in this article so you don’t need to use this unless you find it convenient. If you don’t want to use it tap the dots on the top right and select “Skip” and then “Ignore”.
- On the next page you’ll see the No-IP logo. Feel free to change any of the information or leave it as is.
- You’ll now get the 6 digit code to enter into the Security page of your No-IP account. Enter in your No-IP account password and the 6 digit code you see on the Authy app. The code resets every 30 seconds so if it changes before you enter in the code you will have to enter in the new code that appears.
- As soon as you enable Two-Factor Authentication you will be given a list of codes. Do not navigate away from this page and skip to the Backup Codes section in this article.
- If you selected to enter a code manually you will be taken to a page asking you for a key. The key is found on the Security page of your No-IP account underneath the QR code.
- Authy will then take you to a page labeled “Secure Backups” feel free to use this feature. We offer backup passwords later on in this article so you don’t need to use this unless you find it convenient. If you don’t want to use it tap the dots on the top right and select “Skip” and then “Ignore”.
- You’ll then be prompted to select a logo for the authentication. You can simply search for noip to get our logo for the authentication. Hit continue when you’re ready.
- You’ll be asked for an account nickname. You can name it your account username/email or enter a new name.
- You’ll then be presented with a screen with a 6 digit code. Before doing anything with that code fill in the password field on the no-ip security page with your no-ip account password.
- Add the 6-digit code from Duo to the security page in your account and click “Enable Two-Factor Authentication”. The code will change every 30 seconds so you’ll need to enter in the 6 digit code on the Security page within that time frame.
- Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. Make sure to not navigate away from the page with the backup codes and proceed to the backup codes section in this article.
After Enabling Two-Factor authentication you’ll be taken to a page with a list of Backup Codes. Save this entire list of codes somewhere you won’t lose them, you can also select to print them out if you want a physical copy. These can be used to access your account in case you lose access to the authentication app. This is the only time you will be able to see and save these codes make sure to save them before you navigate away from this page.
The Security Question is the last resort for regaining access to your account, make sure you set one. This is also found in the Security page of your no-ip account, below the Two-Factor Authentication section. Please contact our support team if you’ve lost access to your account and would like to retrieve it using security question verification.
You’ll need the device you installed the authentication app on to sign into your No-IP account. You’ll sign into your No-IP account as normal with your email or username and password. Afterwards you’ll see the following prompt.
Open up your app and you should see your 6 digit code. Enter it in the field shown in the screenshot and click verify. If you no longer have access to your device or authentication application you can log in using a Backup Code. Simply click on “Use Backup Code” then enter in one of the Backup Codes from the list you were given when originally enabling Two-Factor Authentication. Each Backup Code can only be used once. If you run out of codes and would like a new set, see below.
Disabling Two-Factor Authentication or Getting New Backup Codes
Log in to your No-IP account. Navigate back to the Security page. Type in your No-IP account password then click on “Disable”. It will immediately turn off Two-Factor Authentication for your account. You’ll then be able to log in again normally without the need to use the authentication app or backup codes. If you want a new list of backup codes it’s the same process except you’ll click Regenerate Recovery Codes instead.